We recommend staying in the Tibetan Colony to be as close to the landing zone as possible. If you have your own vehicle or don’t mind taking a taxi, other areas may also be an option
- Dzongsar Guesthouse: A guesthouse near Deer Park with somewhat cavernous rooms (can be cold in winter). Sometimes has solar-heated water for showers. +91 (1894) 251-787
- Chokling Guesthouse: Near Chokling Monastery. Pleasant rooms with attached bathrooms and solar-heated showers. Reasonably quiet setting facing the impressive stupa of the monastery. Restaurant serves decent Tibetan food (and veg sushi) +91 88942-32589 or 88941-12325
- Emaho Guesthouse: Has a few rooms with attached bath. +91 (1894) 268-197 or 98162-12678
- Palden Guesthouse (Garden Cafe). Electric heated showers. Friendly owners. Very clean. Restaurant with Wi-Fi.
- Hotel Surya Classic: Modern hotel with attached bath, hot water, and Wi-Fi internet. +91 94180-46580
- Colonel’s Resort, most premium resort in Bir, with ample space and very classy. http://www.colonelsresort.com/
- Four rooms/Four tables: an artsy place and a good restaurant http://www.the4roomshotel.com/
- Zhim Zhim Hotel: closest accomodation to school building. good clean rooom with TV for those who need them.. 800-1200.
- Green Hotel: Another budget accomodation very close to PG-Gurukul classroom.
NOTE: Foreigners (anyone other than Indians, Tibetans, Nepalis, and Bhutanese) wishing to stay overnight in the Bir Tibetan Colony will need to apply for a Protected Area Permit (PAP) from the Indian Government. For information, see this page.
Hotels/Guesthouses in Bir Proper (Upper Bir)
- Bhawani Guest House: A quiet place at the west end of Upper Bir with comfortable rooms, attached bathrooms and. Serves Indian meals with advance order. + 91 (1894) 268025, 98574-60215, or 94180-15525
Hotels/Guesthouses in East Chowgan
- Bir Resort Hotel: An older place with 12 rooms, hot showers and a restaurant. +91 (1894) 268-367 or 98106-85753.
- Colonel’s Resort: The most upscale accommodation option in Chowgan, set amid tea gardens. The best rooms are in the newer wing and the cottages. Serves good food with good service. Well-suited for families, groups, and couples. Sometimes hosts student groups, which can be loud, so check in advance. +91 98055-34220
- Sangrai Guesthouse: Nice, small, family-run place tucked off the main Colony Road amidst tea gardens and thus a bit quieter. +91 (1894) 268.669 or 94184.49669